Serves 10 – 50 minutes to prepare
24 dinner rolls (2 packets)
Butter for rolls
1.5 cups boiled and mashed potato
half cup chopped cauliflower
half cup frozen or fresh peas
half cup green capsicum
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp ginger & garlic mince
Salt to taste
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil
3 tsp pavbahji masala *
1 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp rock salt, Himalayan or black salt
Juice of half a lemon
For Garnish : 1 tsp finely chopped coriander, 1tbsp raw onion and wedges of lemon.
*Pavbahji masala can be sourced from any Indian store. It is a blend of spices such as coriander, cumin, fennel, dry mango powder, dried red chillies, turmeric, pepper, cloves and cinnamon.
(To make vegan Pav bhaji, substitute butter with vegan butter.)
Place the slit and buttered buns into a fry pan. Press to toast them, until golden brown both sides.
Bhaji ( Vegetable)
- Boil and mash potatoes.
- Steam cauliflower and peas until soft.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter with 2 tbsp oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add ginger/garlic mince and sauté a few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add chopped capsicum and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté until soft and gravy like
- Add all the spices ( pav bhaji masala, salt, cumin, chilli powder rocksalt)
- Mix well and simmer for another 2 minutes
- Add cauliflower, peas and mashed potato.
- Using a potato masher, mash and mix well.
- Add ½ cup water .
- Mix, cover and cook on a slow heat for 5 mins.
- Open the pot and add the remaining 2 tbsp butter and juice of half a lemon. (2 tsp)
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve it hot with freshly toasted pav, chopped onions and lemon wedges on the side
- Enjoy it with a carbonated drink or lassi*
*Lassi is a blend of yoghurt, water, spices and sometimes fruit.